Saturday, January 20, 2024

Scrappy Saturday

20 assorted greens
I am making progress with the greens for January in the RSC24. I selected a bunch of greens from my scrap basket and have cut and kit-ed them for the blocks in the Evergreen quilt. I selected 20 fabrics from my stash, but only cut a dozen. If I finish 12 blocks and the quilt doesn't seem big enough I will make up some more blocks. 

One block done!
There are a LOT of half-square-triangles in this quilt, which is not my favorite thing to sew, but if I do them in small groups it shouldn't be too bad. 

I finished the first block, so I could see how it went together, and I am pleased with both the directions and the finished block. 

I am linking up with Scrappy Saturday at So Scrappy and Oh Scrap! 


3 comments:

  1. Very elegant block. Making those HSTs in small batches will seem more manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are tricks for sewing HST in "bulk" when the fabrics are the same. Even using larger squares, so you create to HST units at once would work. You have to do some math to work out the correct square. First draw a line (it will be the cut line) diagonally across the square on the backside. Next sew a seam on either side of the cut line. Cut the square and viola - two white and green squares. I assembly line piece mine. First I sew the seam on the right, then I turn the resulting kite around and sew down the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a lot of triangle projects last year. I'm giving myself a break this year and doing mostly squares. Your block is looking very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Comments will not appear immediately as they are moderated to prevent spam.