Monday, September 14, 2020

Machine Quilting Monday #1

start with curves

The first pattern I tried out was Organic Curves with Branches from Modern Machine Quilter (p. 42). This pattern uses a walking foot (which is not my typical machine quilting method) and begins with a curvy line going the long way from one edge of the quilt to the other. Then you start off parallel to the first line, the distance of your walking foot away from the first line and branch off to another edge of the quilt. I kept adding branches until I ended up with 5 distinct sections marked off this way.
Then you continue to make lines parallel to the first ones using the foot edge to keep your distance even. I started with a 2.4 stitch length but increased it to 2.8 which I liked better. You work from the outer edge in and then pivot to follow the line on the opposite side of the section. I found that not snipping the threads until I had done the next line helped me keep track of where to start each line.
up how each of them goes on Mondays. 

 I liked this pattern and will definitely use it again.
I am testing out some new-to-me machine quilt patterns and will be writing about how they go on Mondays.

Detail of fill pattern


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Comments will not appear immediately as they are moderated to prevent spam.