Sunday, March 26, 2017

Mary's March Progress Wrap-up

The Center is quilted, March 2017
My project for March was the North Woods Quilt and my goal was to get the quilt basted and start on the quilting in the center section. I accomplished that as the entire center is quilted and I am now filling in the background around the trees in the corners. I need to finish up the corners, quilt the border (probably a leaf motif in dark green thread) and then do the binding. 
Northwoods Quilt detail - a rainbow trout!

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Saturday Snapshot


T and I visited Maine a few weeks ago and at the Portland Museum we saw this amazing installation of paper-mache bird sculptures, by Christopher Patch
Linking up with Saturday Snapshot at West Metro Mommy.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Mary's Forward Progress Start: March

T with his Northwoods Quilt (May, 2000)
Number 7 on my list is the North Woods Quilt I made as a wedding present for my husband T. It was tied (in time for the wedding!), and 15+ years later he would like it quilted. I took it apart at the end of last year and got new batting for it.
The very next step (VNS) to move this project forward is to schedule a time with Lisa when we can get together and pin baste. My goal for this month is to get the quilt basted and start on the quilting in the center section.
The plan is to quilt the green parts (in green) to accentuate the diamond pattern of the piecing; to custom quilt the individual applique images; and to fill in the neutral background with neutral colored meandering. The background would be less contrast-y if I was making this quilt today, but I was told by the quilt's owner that I couldn't take it apart and change out the fabric I'm not happy with.

Monday, March 6, 2017

Lisa's Making Forward Progress: March Start

The March project for Making Forward Progress is #7. For my project list, this is making progress on an unfinished scrapbook album (I have many!). I actually have a few goals for this month.

  1. Finish one album: I have many 'almost done' but not finished albums...Wedding; Marathon Training/Alaska trip; Heritage Album; Scotland/Ireland Adventures. Some of these only have a few pages left, so getting one to completion will be a win.
  2. Purge un-used items:  In scrapbooking terms, I have a lot of 'scrap crap'. I used to be a consultant for Creative Memories (before they went out of business and came back as a new company), and as a result have a bunch of stuff that is brand new but I'll never use. I've already sold a lot of such stuff on eBay, but have plenty more. So goal #2 is to make an additional 3 listings on eBay this month.
  3. Organize: I am fortunate enough to have my own office/sewing/craft room. I was thrilled a couple of years ago when we turned the closet in that room to all shelving that gave me more storage. But it has gotten a wee bit unorganized, so I'll aim to straighten it out (it does contain a lot of scrapbooking supplies, so fits with this months' project).

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Lisa's February Progress Wrap-up

When I started February's project in Making Forward Progress, I had 3 yards of Where the Wild Things Are themed flannel fabric, and a potential pattern...both bought years ago.

Once I opened up the pattern I had (it had options for pajama bottoms or a robe), I determined that I didn't have enough fabric for a robe, so the fabric would be used for pajama bottoms. I also determined that I didn't like the pattern I had and the size was wrong, so I tossed it and went back to Jo-Ann's to look for another option. I found one that would do the job and as an added bonus when I arrived at the check-out discovered Simplicity patterns were on sale for $1 - that made me feel a bit better about ditching the first pattern.

Now at the end of February, I have completed the pajama bottoms. I tweaked the pattern a little - instead of having an elastic waist band that went around the entire waist, I altered to make just the back elastic, and the front a ribbon drawstring. I'm fairly happy with the result and have learned a few things. The biggest is that I don't enjoy sewing clothing. I found the figuring out of the pattern & size a little bit stressful. The measurements for the recommended sizes on the pattern did not seem to match reality. If I went by the measurements listed I should have made an XL. But I over-layed the pattern onto existing pajama bottoms I have, and that looked way too huge, so I actually made the Medium pattern size. While the finished product fits, they are still a little large. But since it's just comfy pj's not a big problem. I think I'll stick to buying clothes & sewing things that aren't clothing. But I am happy to have a project finished!

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Making Forward Progress March 2017

Welcome to the March link-up for the 2017 Making Forward Progress Challenge. This month's project is number 7. 
Please write at least one post about your project and share with us:
  • What your project for this month is 
  • The status of the project at the beginning of the month
  • What the very next step you need to take to move the project
    forward is
  • The status of the project by the end of the month
  • Whatever details you want to share about your work on the project during the month
  • Pictures included in your post are awesome, but not required
This can be a post at the beginning and a post at the end of the month, or it can be one post at the end of the month with all the info on how the project went for the month. Do what works best for you.  All posts related to your March project (#7 from your list) should be linked below. For help on linking Facebook posts check out Lisa's Linky Tips

If you want to share an update on how your February project went please link it to the February post.

Let the progress begin!