Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Looking back and looking forward

Over the past 2 years I have made quite a bit of forward progress on my huge pile of ongoing projects. The Making Forward Progress Challenge was productive for me, and at various points for some of my friends, but I have decided that it is not going to continue after it wraps up the current year at the end of January 2019.
In 2016 I did an inventory of unfinished projects and identified 30 of what my Mom called "pigs" (projects in grocery sacks).  Looking back at the list there are only 7 left unfinished and significant progress has been made on 4 of the remaining 7.
Earlier this year I was not feeling especially inspired to sew anything and wasn't doing much. I think the focus on unfinished projects might have been part of the problem. I came across the Log Cabin Loonies project at JulieKQuilts and was inspired to jump in and start making blocks out of my huge pile of scraps. This new project, which I worked on nearly every day for a few weeks, reminded me of how fun creating new quilts can be.
For 2019 I am setting some goals that I hope will build on this lesson.

  1. I want to focus on making quilts that use up my scraps. I may do some more log-cabins, I have an idea for a string quilt that I may try, and I will be keeping an eye on the Oh Scrap! linkup for additional inspiration.
  2. I am going to start (today) participating in 15-minutes-to-stitch at Life in Pieces. The idea is to stitch for 15 minutes each day and track your success rate. I am going to define "stitching" as anything that involves a sewing or needlework project, selecting fabric, prepping scraps, actual sewing, or working out a design all count. There is a linkup for this each Sunday and I will try to update at least twice each month. My goal is to get this habit to at least a 50% success rate this year.
    15 minutes stitching 4 days/week = 57% success rate
    15 minutes stitching 16 days/month (assume 31 day months) = 51%
    15 minutes stitching 183 days/year = 50%
  3. I want to participate in One-Monthly-Goal at Elm Street Quilts. Instead of mapping out the whole year's projects I will pick one thing each month and set a goal to work on that. I need to set each goal the first week of the month and then report on it the last week.
  4. I want to make more quilts to give away. My quilt guild's A Quilted Gift project, the Carolina Hurricane Quilt Project, and the NHPTV Auction are all causes I want to support. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is a huge dent in the 30 original projects! I didn't think about the aspect of focusing on unfinished projects getting in the way of starting new ones, but it makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Comments will not appear immediately as they are moderated to prevent spam.