Sunday, December 2, 2018

Mary's November Finish

The last circle pieced and ready to set into a block
My November Project (#5 on my 2018 Forward Progress list) was my Tropical Quilt. The goal for the month was to applique the 2 centers that remained to do at that point and to figure out the setting of the circles into the blocks. I completed the centers so I now have 12 complete mainer's compass circles. I cut and assembled a set of background pieces, but the sizing still wasn't right. I realized that I may not have enough of the background fabric--the method in the pattern wastes a lot of fabric and I have spoiled 2 sets of background pieces now. I visited my neighborhood quilt shop and they were able to get me some more of this fabric so I should have enough now. I definitely made progress on this project this month, but not as much as I had hoped.
The next step to move this project forward is to cut and assemble the background pieces for each block and get them all pinned up for hand appliqueing the compasses to the background. I did one of these but wasn't entirely happy with how it turned out, so I need to make some adjustments to the size of the cut pieces and try again. When I get the formula right it shouldn't be a huge deal to get them assembled and ready for handwork. I also need to finish appliqueing the remaining center circles, but that shouldn't take more than one evening watching TV to accomplish. My goal for the month is to finish the 2 centers and to figure out the correct sizing of the background pieces. 

1 comment:

  1. Finally having a chance to catch up reading your posts :) I love the fabrics in this one...those purple dragonflies pop off of the splashy red!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Comments will not appear immediately as they are moderated to prevent spam.