Saturday, June 7, 2014

Done: Crayon Box Quilt

Block detail, Crayon Box
I started this quilt in a class taught by Mary Will Sussman. My best guess is that it was in 2002 or 2003. I kept putting the quilt away for various reasons and it was in a box for years because I couldn't figure out how to machine quilt it. I finally worked that out and this past spring I got the whole thing quilted. It is now bound and has a sleeve on it. I really like how it turned out. The finished quilt is 54" square.
Crayon Box, made and quilted by M. Russell 2013
Block Detail, Crayon Box
Each block has a spiral quilted into the center and each colored box has a loop-the-loop pattern quilted into it. For these I used 2 different variegated threads: a yellow/green/orange for blocks in those colors and a blue/purple/pink for those blocks. The background is quilted with a wiggly grid in black thread so it blends in. I think this is a really good quilting design for the blocks, but there were a TON of threads that had to be tied off and buried in the batting. An eyeless needle (aka an easy thread needle) was a huge help in getting this done.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, I love it. Isn't it great when you're finally able to finish a project because your skills have improved? I have a few of those hanging around. I'm tackling one right now. It's a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great feeling. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Comments will not appear immediately as they are moderated to prevent spam.